Friday, January 13, 2012

Food Friday--Chicken Noodle Soup

What better for a cold, blustery winter afternoon than a big bowl of chicken noodle soup?

Actually, what's better for just about any afternoon than chicken noodle soup?

Apparently a lot of people think the same thing. Check out wikipedia's exploration of chicken soup around the world.

My version isn't particularly global. In fact, it's quite local--based on my own kitchen and taste preferences. I don't know that I ever followed a recipe when I first started making my own chicken noodle soup--usually I start with a recipe and then jump off from there. This one just sort of came about. My mom used to make soup when I was growing up (although as I kid I liked Campbell's better, dang kid). So even though she never taught me how to make it, maybe something just sank in. In any case, here's my version.

By the way, as my family would tell you, I actually never make any of my own recipes the same way twice. My last Food Friday post mentioned going through your spice cupboard with your nose...that's exactly how I do it. So depending on what smells good to me that day, and depending on what tastes I feel particularly in need of, my seasonings may shift. Read my recipes as "in today's version, I used...." And my amounts are typically guess-work--I put a seasoning in, taste, put in a little more, taste...so read my amounts as "or so." I did do my best to track what I was doing when I made soup this time so it's pretty dang close. But you have permission to play!

Sandy's Chicken Noodle Soup (Today's Version)
4 quarts broth (store bought or homemade, chicken or turkey)
2 celery stalks, sliced thin
4 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1 onion, diced
cooked chicken, 3-4 cups cubed
1-3 teaspoons kosher salt to taste (start small here--you can always add salt but can't take it back)
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (black pepper is fine, I just don't like the way it looks in soup)
1 teaspoon ground dried thyme
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dried garlic powder (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon ground dried rosemary
(I sometimes add a teaspoon or so of chicken bouillon if I feel the taste needs to be deepened--remember, it's got salt so be careful)
Approx 2 cups dried egg noodles

Saute carrots, celery, and onion together in the bottom of a dutch oven with a little oil, until onion is almost translucent. Add broth, chicken, and seasonings. Heat over med-high heat for a bit to allow flavors to meld--I usually go maybe 10-15 minutes. Taste periodically to see if you need to adjust seasonings. Then bring it to a boil. Add noodles, cook for 8-10 minutes until noodles are done.

You can use rice instead of noodles--rice needs to cook longer, so adjust your times accordingly.

How many servings does this make?....How big is your bowl? :-)

If you make homemade chicken noodle soup, what seasonings do you like to include?

By the way, here are a couple of foodie-quilter blogs you should make sure you check out:
  • Susan, The History Quilter (You can find her blog and her podcast at the same site): http://www.historyquilter.com/
  • My buddy Lori from my guild has a great food blog: http://lipsmackinggoodness.blogspot.com/
  • and she has a quilty blog, The Crafty's Bees Knees: http://craftication.blogspot.com/