Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Donation Quilt Wednesday--Jaye's blocks

Jaye just posted this week about her own donation quilt blocks for her guild. http://artquiltmaker.com/blog/2012/02/donation-blocks/.

I've been trying to be more methodical and regular about cutting my scraps to usable sizes. The sizes I decided to go with are 10" squares, 5" squares, 3" squares, 2 1/2" squares, 2" squares, and 2 1/2" strips. Basically, I start with the largest sizes I can get out of any given scrap and work my way down from there. The sizes I chose to focus on are those used in a lot of the books I own (layer cakes, charm packs, jelly rolls), and those used in the ScrapTherapy method, another book I own. I figured if I kept it simple and easy for me to use them without having to use a whole lot of math (!), I'd be more likely to actually use them.

As we know from recent posts, I've been able to use up some of my 2 1/2" strips in donation quilts. I'm looking forward to more possibilities in my future. Jaye, thanks for the inspiration! Great blocks!